05 September 2013

Quilt of Valor UPDATE

UPDATE; Im switching gears a bit with the fabric choice and placement to create a more uniformed quilt. Please read below for the details.  Thank you!

Our dear friend Brant was recently injured in Afghanistan during his fourth deployment.
My husband had the privilege and honor of deploying
and working with Brant for a number of years.
They were more than team mates, they were brothers.
my husband and Brant
His injuries sustained brought him back to the US, keeping him from the work he loves. The injuries continue to prevent Brant from serving and carry the devastating potential of being career ending.

He is recovering at home with his amazing wife and two daughters.
The sacrifices and heroic price Brant has paid and continues to pay to serve our country brings tears to my eyes.
There is no token of gratitude and thanks that would even begin to express my profound appreciation for Brant and his family.

It is an honor and a privilege to give back.

I invite you to join with me in extending all of our love, thanks,
and well wishes in the form of a
A Quilt of Valor.  http://www.qovf.org/

A Quilt of Valor is a wartime quilt made to honor our War Wounded. 
It is a tangible way to say: 
"Thank you for your service, 
sacrifice and valor for our country".

Would you like to join me? by making one or two blocks?
I will assemble and finish the quilt.
If you are interested in joining me, here are the details;
source; here

I am asking that you make a Wonky 
maverick star blockThere is a tutorial here.
To make it "Wonky"; follow the tutorial and by changing the angles of the triangles. 
I would like the blocks to be made Traditional American Flag colors;
Please stay as close to the Traditional American flag colors as possible.
Red, shades of Blue, White and some Grey.
Brant is a huge Ohio State fan, and I thought it would look nice to have some grey in there too.

Please use quilt shop quality fabric. And true white (white on white is okay). No cream or ivory.
Also please do not use flowery feminine fabrics; as this quilt is for a masculine male.
Please have the STAR be white with the background scrappy.

Please make sure the final block measures 12.5" unfinished.
If the block is not 12.5", I reserve the right to alter the block or to omit the block all together. My goal is to have the blocks all the same so they will come together easily.

I would like the blocks mailed back to me by the last week of October.

Anyone interested? Questions? please leave a comment which includes your email address.
Thank you in advance!
Feel free to spread the word and recruit fellow quilters. 

Im not sure what kind of response I will get, but for all of you go getters I would also like to make a quilt for Brant's girls out of the same maverick star tutorial block. 
If you are up for sending a block for this quilt; all is welcomed.

For the colors; Shades of pinks and yellows, purples and teals, pinks and purples, purple green ext...
Pinks, Purples, Teals, Yellows, White, with tiny dashes of green. 
source; here
The block needs to be a Two way Color Block.
(as seen in the quilts below; all background blocks are the same color and all Star blocks are the same color)
Source; here
source; here
again, please make sure you;
use quilt shop quality fabric and have the final block measures 12.5" unfinished. If the block is not 12.5", I reserve the right to alter the block or to omit the block all together. My goal is to have the blocks all the same so they will come together easily.

I would like the blocks mailed back to me by the last week of October.

Anyone interested? Questions? please leave a comment which includes your email address.
Thank you in advance!
Feel free to spread the word and recruit fellow quilters.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this! Sorry! It's been pretty crazy here! I'll try and get some blocks made and sent. I just made a purple, teal, green, yellow quilt for a friend so I have lots of fabrics for the other blocks too! Send me your address and I'll mail them in a couple weeks. Also, I posted the link on my blog. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made a RWB block, i'll make a couple pastel blocks for the girls. how many girls are there? i'll make a block per...

    so, i'll need an addie too :)

    ReplyDelete